Featured post

English short story: A Lion and a mouse

A friend in need is a friend indeed Once upon a time there lived a lion in a forest. One day, after a heavy meal he wa...

Monday 1 December 2014

What is Might? How to use Might? Different usages of Might. Is your Might actually Right?

Might is one of the most commonly used words to express possibility. It is also used in conditional sentences.
Google image

A) Used in the past tense of may when you want to report about what somebody has said.
For example:
1. Sam said he might visit tomorrow.

B) You can use it when you want to say that something is or was possible.
For example:
1. She might call me, but I can't be sure.

2. I know Van doesn't like the work, but I mightn't find it too bad.
3. The plan might have helped them, if only they had taken it on time.

C) You can use it to make any polite suggestion.
For example:
1. You might try calling the cops.
2. I thought we might go for trekking on Sunday.

D) You can use it to ask permission politely.
For example:
1. Might I use your computer?
2. If I might just submit my story.

E) You can use it to ask for any information.
For example:
1. How might the policies be improved upon?

F) One can use it to show that one is annoyed about something that somebody could do or could have done.
For example:
1. I think he might at least stay here.
2. Honestly, she might have informed me!

G) One can use it to say that one is not surprised by something.
For example:
1. She might have guessed that it was me who was calling her!

H) You can use it to emphasise that some vital point has been made.
For example:
1. 'And where were you yesterday?' 'You might well ask!'

2 comments:

  1. in example 1 of D can we apply may instead of might if yes, please tell when and where to should i use might or may.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, of course. But the degree of manners will slightly change.

    ReplyDelete